Operating Business in Columbia County

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Welcome to Columbia County and Thank You for Your Business

When operating a business in Columbia County there are three departments that require completion of various forms in a timely manner: the Department of Building and Commercial Services, the Tax Assessor's office and the Tax Commissioner's Office.  To help better serve you the following is a brief checklist of what to expect from each area and what will be required from you:

    1. An Occupation Tax Application form (commonly referred to as a business license) must be submitted and requires the payment of an occupation tax.  For details contact the Licensing and Permits Department at 706-868-3420 or visit their web page Licensing and Permits Department.

    2. In January, following the purchase of a business license (A business located within the boundaries of Columbia County, the City of Harlem or the City of Grovetown), you will receive a Personal Property Return form from the Tax Assessor's Office.  Please click here for the Forms library to locate the appropriate form.  For help in completing this form and deadline constraints contact them at 706-312-7474 or check their web site Tax Assessor.

    3. An assessment notice will be mailed to you in May from the Tax Assessor's Office.  If you desire to appeal this value you have 45 days to do so in writing.  For assistance in this process, please contact them at (706)312-7474 or check their website Tax Assessor.

    4. If applicable, the Columbia County Tax Commissioner's Office will mail you a Personal Property Tax bill in August for payment due by November 15th.  Further information may be obtained on the Tax Commissioner website or by telephone at (706)261-TAXX(8299).

            Thank you for notifying us when your business has a change of status such as:
*  Change of Business Ownership
                                                Change of Business Location
                                                *  Change of Business Mailing Address
                                                *  Closing a Business

A copy of the Zoning Ordinances can be purchased from the Department of Building and Commercial Services located in the Evans Government Center on Ronald Reagan Drive, Building A.  You may also view the entire Columbia Code of Ordinances here.