Historic Canal Headgates Buildings

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Columbia County, Georgia

Canal Headgates Buildings Canal Headgates: Lockkeepers Cottage
3300 Evans to Locks Road
Martinez, Georgia 30907
Phone - (706) 868-3349
Fax - (706) 868-3435
 
                            Customer Comments

Lockkeepers Cottage: circa 1890
Built in the late 1800’s, the Lockkeepers Cottage housed the Lockkeeper and his family. He was to be available to operate the locks on a moments notice.  This allowed the cotton and tobacco laden boats to move freely from river to canal and canal to river along their journey to and from Augusta. He farmed in his spare time and maintained the outlying buildings such as the Dance Pavilion, Dining Hall and the BBQ Pit.

Today the cottage serves as the headquarters for the State Certified Visitor Center.  Staff is available, as well as brochures, offering information about Columbia County, the CSRA and the entire state of Georgia.  One room is arranged as if the Lockkeeper still lived there in order to give visitors an idea of life during that time. A second room is  dedicated to a pictorial history and several displays,  as well as an area to view a video of the canal and its history.  

The Lockkeeper's Cottage is not available for reservation for private parties, however the three outer buildings are. 
To inquire about becoming a volunteer for the Visitor Center, call us at (706) 868-3373 or
email us.
 
Dance Pavilion: circa 1880Good Dance Pavilion
The Dance Pavilion is a 1,500 square foot covered pavilion that can accommodate up to 100 people seated theater style. From this building you get a bird’s eye view of the entire canal/locks area. This building is available by itself or as part of a package with the other historic buildings. It is equipped with lighting, electrical outlets and ceiling fans for the clients’ comfort. Additional electricity is available to accommodate the needs of caterers or DJ’s.

 

Canal Headgates Picnic AreaDining Shed: circa 1935
The Dining Shed is a 1500 square foot covered and screened building that is directly adjacent to the BBQ Pit and the Canal. There is a small food prep area offering a sink with running water and a counter top. No ice is available in the historic area. Picnic style seating for approximately 80 guests is pre-set with this building. No reset or changing of tables and chairs is allowed, however buffet tables or a cake table can be set up to allow for parties or wedding reception needs.

 

BBQ Pit: circa 1880  The BBQ pit was often used to grill pigs and other meats during the various celebrations held here at the headgates.  Possibly the first structure built on the site when the recreational opportunities were recognized.

All other areas along the canal are on a first come, first serve basis. Anyone wishing to put an event tent up in this area must get pre-approval from Rental Facilities & Venues sales office located inside the Savannah Rapids Pavilion.  Open fires are not allowed.

Public restrooms are available in the lower level of the Dance Pavilion and in the rear of the Lockkeeper's Cottage. The restrooms are open during posted operating hours and during scheduled events.

Pets are not allowed in reserved areas. Pets accompanied by walkers/joggers may pass through the area. All pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet when outstretched.



Rental Rates

Rental Procedures & Policies

Directions & Map

Professional photo of Sandy BonerEmail Sandy Boner, Manager
                              Rental Facilities & Venues Department