Columbia County would like to inform the citizens of Columbia County that all county offices will be closed on Friday, July 3, 2020 in observance of Independence Day. 
County libraries (Evans Library, Grovetown Library, and Harlem Library) will be closed Friday, July 3, 2020 through Sunday, July 5, 2020. 
County offices and libraries will resume normal business operations on Monday, July 6, 2020 at 8:00 AM. 


Have you completed the 2020 Census? Visit to complete the online questionnaire today!

Land Disturbance Permit & Process

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

In order to help preserve the natural beauty of the county, we follow a straightforward permitting process.

Submission Details

Permit applications for common developments and commercial projects should be submitted to Plan Review.

See the LDP table for the required documents.

Complete permit applications for new home construction, pools, additions, etc. can either be submitted to Building Standards or emailed to

Only complete packages will be accepted.

For Engineers Only

Additional Permit Requirements

Land Disturbance Inspection

Our Erosion and Sediment Control (E&S) Inspection Team is responsible for land disturbance inspection associated with subdivisions, commercial, and residential sites ranging from new houses to decks.

Sites are inspected for compliance with applicable site-specific plans, County Ordinance, and the 2016 Edition for Erosion and Sediment Control in Georgia (Green Book).

If you have a building permit and need an initial E&S inspection please call the inspection line at 706-447-7733 or email at by 4:30 p.m. the business day before you need the inspection. You must provide the permit number, physical address, and your contact information.

For all other E&S inspection requests call 706-447-7645 or email You must provide the permit number, physical address, and your contact information.

Enviro-Source Newsletter-E & S Public Education
2016 edition
2017 edition
2018 edition
2019 edition

Elevation Certificates

Columbia County's Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance requires that all construction, additions, conversions and/or development located in areas of special flood hazard comply with certain minimum standards intended to minimize damage from floods. For example, there are restrictions on the placement of fill material in areas of special flood hazard and houses and other structures are required to be built three feet above the 100-year base flood elevation (BFE).

Columbia County also requires building permits be obtained from the Columbia County Building Standards Department prior to construction. All building permits are reviewed to determine if a property is encroached upon by the Special Flood Hazard Area. If a property is determined to be within the Special Flood Hazard Area, an elevation certificate will be required for the structure, regardless of whether the structure is located within the Special Flood Hazard Area. Columbia County must receive an elevation certificate for final construction prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy. Columbia County retains paper copies of all elevation certificates that have been submitted. To obtain a copy of any elevation certificate on the list contact the Stormwater Department at (706) 447-7645

Substantial Improvement Requirements

Columbia County requires that if the cost of reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or other improvements to a building equals or exceeds 50% of the building's market value, then the building must meet the same construction and floodplain management requirements as a new building. Substantially damaged buildings must also be brought up to the same standards (i.e. a residence damaged so the cost of repairs equals or exceeds 50% of the building's value before it was damaged must be elevated above the base flood elevation).

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer